Many times people are not sure whether to go to a dentist or a dental surgeon for the treatment of their dental condition.
This is mainly because differentiating what either of these professionals can do is a challenge.
The right thing to do when seeking dental medication would be to go to your dentist first, who will examine your condition and let you know whether or not to see an oral surgeon in Los Angeles.
There are a number of procedures that can only be professionally handled by an oral surgeon and not any other dentist.
The following are some of the most common dental procedures performed by an oral surgeon at Top Dentist in LA.
Dental implants are used in a procedure to replace lost tooth or teeth. An implant is placed into the patient’s jawbone, allowed time to fuse and then a crown placed atop of it. the procedure is aimed at restoring the dental structure of a person who’s lost teeth. This procedure involves a number of steps like going to the lab to make an artificial crown, an administration of anesthesia and placement of the implants in the jawbone. An experienced oral surgeon in Los Angeles should be in a position to help you get teeth replacement without any problem.
Impacted Teeth Removal
Impacted teeth are those teeth that do not grow properly. They force their way through the gum tissues tearing them away and causing injuries. The result is swelling and a lot of discomfort due to pain. Failure to attend to this type of teeth may result in infections in the jaw. In the case of impacted teeth, you dentist will advice you to visit an oral surgeon who will remove the teeth and repair the damaged gum tissue. Since the procedure is more certainly very painful, the surgeon will have to use anesthesia.
Repair of cleft lip and palate
Cleft lip and cleft palate are conditions whereby a part of the mouth and the nasal cavity (respectively) do not grow and develop like they should. This leaves a hole in the lip or the upper part of the mouth or both. Cleft lip and palate affects many things including eating and taking. To repair the condition an oral surgeon in Los Angeles performs a surgery and advices on the way forward. It is highly unlikely that your dentist will be able to handle the problem.
Correcting imbalanced jaws
Sometimes the upper and lower jaws don’t grow proportionally making it hard for the patients to eat and talk properly. It is not an uncommon condition and the patients are always advised to seek medical attention from an oral surgeon to correct it.
Wisdom teeth removal
There are instances when the wisdom teeth grow out of proportion causing damage to the gum tissue which results to a lot of pain. Also, these molars may be oversize hindering the dental structure of a person by affecting the nearby teeth. Such teeth are usually removed to restore the dental structure. An oral surgeon is best trained to handle such cases with the precision and care that it requires. Often, you may experience teeth growing at the back of your mouth behind your molars. In most cases, Wisdom teeth teeth rarely become aligned in a straight line, a condition which can be taken care of at Top Dentist in LA. During their growth, they can bring problems such as damage to the nerves running in the teeth, infection and bone damage.
How do you know that your wisdom teeth are coming in?
Various symptoms will help you know when your wisdom teeth are growing.
Some of the symptoms include:
- Severe jaw pain
- Bad breath
- Pain in the jaws
- Reddening and swelling of gums
- Soft gums that bleed easily
Remedies of reducing the pain of a wisdom tooth growing in
You can decide to apply a few techniques to make the pain go away as you wait to see your dentist. Note that the methods only relieve you the pain temporarily. For permanent relief, you should get the Wisdom teeth removed by a dentist.
- Applying ice on the exterior wisdom tooth area to reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Rinsing your mouth with warm water and salt for a few minutes.
- Squeezing some clove oil on the tooth and gum area to numb the pain and prevent infection. You can add a few drops of olive oil to make it more useful.
- Chewing an onion on the side of the mouth that is in pain to allow the phytochemicals in it penetrate your tooth to kill germs and relieve you the pain. If you find it too intense to chew the onion, holding a piece of it directly onto the painful tooth and gum will work as well.
- Putting a slice of refrigerated cucumber on the problematic tooth to relieve your pain. You can opt for this if an onion is an intense option for you.
- Using peppermint to significantly reduce the pain, get rid of bacteria and give your mouth a natural fresh smell. Both the peppermint leaves and drops of peppermint extract would do fine.
- Using baking soda paste to reduce the pain and swelling of the tooth. You can add toothpaste to the baking soda in a bowl and apply directly on the affected tooth.
Treatment of wisdom teeth symptoms
Having a painful incoming wisdom tooth that needs treatment? Well, no drug treatment can help you with that. To relieve the pain, it is recommended that you have the tooth extracted under anesthesia at a dentist’s office. Removing the tooth when it is already visible on the gum surface will make the whole process a lot easier for you.
Purpose of wisdom teeth
Wisdom teeth are not much of a use as in the past. Research shows that in the past, they were used to generate chewing power for breaking down hard foods such as nuts and roots. Presently, they are known not to have any relevant function since our diets consist mostly of soft foods that are easily broken down by other teeth.